Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Light bulb

After reading an article for another class, I was determined to enquire about the attitude and roles parents play in their young child's acquisition of language and literacy. Parents are their children's first teachers and I am on this quest to see how much parents believe it is their job to give children the tools needed for developing early literacy.

So, I am in the process of writing the literature review and the light bulb just went on this week. I have been fiddling with it for about three weeks now. In my research, I plan to look at 5 variables, which will be examined through a survey and interview. It was not until this week that I realized that I should use the five variables as categories to present the past research. When it hit me, I breathed a sigh of relief and now I think I know what I am doing --now just to polish it to submit for review.

Sometimes I wish the light bulb would turn on faster. You know when you walk into a place that has motion censors, the light flicks on and then when you leave, it goes off. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a motion censored world. When I am in one place, the light bulb goes on and as soon as I leave _____, the light flickers and then I am back to the craziness of this world; the mind simply goes blank. This only means that I need to write down everything. I used to be able to remember so much. I was a pro at taking mental notes. Now, if I don't write things down, I am sorry but, I am not going to remember. So the message I am taking away this week is to take notes and think in categories.

1 comment:

  1. Without a doubt, a parent's role is huge in setting a foundation for language in a child's early years. It's a fascinating topic, and it sounds as though you're really immersed in the investigative process!

    ReplyDelete